The Abernethy School of Adventure Leadership
Foundation Instructor Training Course
This course at our School of Adventure Leadership is a fantastic opportunity for those who have limited time or resources. Our qualified instructional team will provide training and guidance to prepare you for training and assessment courses in a range of outdoor activities. An important part of the year is the opportunity for personal Christian growth and an insight into the value of outdoor activities in Christian ministry.
You can read about what our Trainee Instructors get up to week by week on their blog HERE.
Applying for this course is a big decision and we welcome your questions on 01967 411222 or by e-mail
What qualifications can I achieve during the year?
- Mountaineering: Summer Mountain Leader Training *
- Rock Climbing: Single Pitch Award Training
- Kayaking & Canoeing: BCU 2 Star Award, Foundation Safety & Rescue Training, UKCC Level 1 Training & Assessment. Plus either BCU Open Canoe 3 Star Award or BCU White Water 3 Star Award. Also UKCC Level 2 Training
- Skiing: BASI Alpine Level 1 based in Switzerland
- First Aid: BASP Outdoor Emergency First Aid
- Orienteering: Teaching Orienteering Part 1
- Archery: Archery Instructor Award
What are the pre-requisites?
With the exception of the Mountain Leader Award, there are no pre requisites for joining the Foundation Instructor Training Course. Some informal experience of some of the activities would be an advantage.
To complete the training section of the Mountain Leader Award, you should arrive on the course with a minimum of 20 quality mountain days, as stipulated by Mountain Training. For advice on this contact us.
Starting to complete log sheets prior to the course is useful preparation:
What if I already have some experience or qualifications?
If this is the case and you are of an appropriate standard, we will, where possible, coach and encourage you to gain a higher qualification.
What is included in the price?
- Full board and accommodation for 7 months
- 2 weeks work placement
- Coaching, training and assessment fees
- Use of transport and equipment while taking part in training
- Membership of the various governing bodies
- Travel to and from Switzerland, full area lift pass and travel insurance for this part of the course
- School of Adventure Leadership fleece
What is not included in the price?
- Maps and map cases for the Summer Mountain Leader training and assessment courses
- Any specialist clothing or equipment you may want to purchase
Contact us for a to find out more, or read through our online Prospectus
How to apply:
- Complete an application form and return to the School of Adventure Leadership, Abernethy Ardgour, Fort William, Inverness-shire, PH33 7AD or scan and e-mail to us.
- If appropriate, we will offer you an interview, including an overnight stay at the centre
- We will take up references and will require a PVG Disclosure before being able to confirm the offer of a place
- If a place is offered a deposit will be due immediately followed by the remainder for the course fee split between September and January.
- Places are limited and are offered on a first come first served basis, applications open in September of the preceding year – on occasion applications may be received more than a year in advance
Start date & price
11 September - Mid April 2017 | £8555 | Please contact Abernethy Ardgour.
T | 01967 411222 or e-mail | Abernethy Ardgour