Only *EEA & Swiss nationals can work for Abernethy without needing to apply for a visa. So if you have a passport from a country outside of this area, you will need a visa to come to Abernethy. Keep on reading below to see what kind of visa you will need to come to Scotland, and what kind of restrictions will be placed on you.
Youth Mobility Visa
A Youth Mobility Visa is available to nationals of Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Canada
aged 18-30. If this is you - you can apply for any of our paid vacancies and come and work here for up to two years. See HERE
for more details.
An Ancestry Visa can be applied for by citizens of a **Commonwealth
country if they have at least one parent or grandparent who has a British passport. If this is you - you can apply for any of our paid vacancies and come and work here for up to five years. See HERE
for more details.
Citizens from all other countries or those outwith the YMV age bracket
require a sponsored visa to come to Abernethy. If this is you - you cannot apply to work here, but you could still come and have an Abernethy experience! Abernethy is a Tier 5 licenced sponsor, and we have an International Volunteer Programme which gives you the chance to come and stay with us from 6 months to a year: helping on our house and kitchen teams, sharing your faith, and getting to experience Scotland. All food and accommodation is included. See HERE
and below for more details.
*The European Economic Area (EEA) includes: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK. Switzerland is not an EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.
** The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 53 independent countries. For a list of members, and more information, see the Commonwealth Secretariat website.
International Volunteer 2018-19 (House & Kitchen)
Abernethy has an International Volunteer programme which takes on a limited number of volunteers each year. Placements are from 6-12 months in duration. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old and are typically up to 30 years old.
You will need to have sufficient funds in a bank account to be able to pay for your visa fees, healthcare surcharge, return travel and insurance costs and to be able to send a bank statement along with your application form. If you do not have a bank account you will not be granted a visa.
Who should apply?
Abernethy's vision is to provide exceptional outdoor adventure experiences where our guests can discover more about themselves, others and God.
This is a great opportunity for people looking to learn valuable service-sector skills, experience a range of departments within a busy outdoor centre, make new friends, and experience a new culture and community. First and foremost, we are looking for people who want to serve God in this kind of outreach, so your Christian Faith will be evident in your life.
What are the key roles of an Abernethy Volunteer?
The volunteer role, which is often varied, requires the team member to be involved in:
- Food preparation, cooking and service
- Kitchen cleaning & washing up
- Housekeeping, including cleaning and changeover day work
- Involvement with ‘Explore’ Christian programme, explaining and sharing the Christian faith with our guests.
Other more occasional tasks (after additional training) include:
- Assist the activities instructor team during outdoor activity sessions
- Assist the Maintenance Team with light maintenance duties
A year at Abernethy is a great opportunity to grow in your faith, to deepen your relationship with Christ and share him with our guests. Throughout the year there will be a number of times set aside for teaching, both spiritual and practical. These will include team fellowship on a weekly basis, a conference with the teams from all Abernethy centres, as well as opportunities to attend other conferences and training courses held at the Abernethy centres.
What are we looking for?
- Experience in catering and housekeeping would be an advantage, but not essential.
- Enthusiasm and aptitude and ability to work hard as part of a team are more important than highly developed skills as full training will be given.
- Intermediate level of English
- Positive Christian role model for both guests and staff
What are the benefits?
- Valuable work experience in the Christian residential sector
- As this is a live-in volunteer position, accommodation & meals are provided - other reasonable out-of-pocket expenses can be claimed back (this does not include visa or insurance costs or airfares - see our Expenses Policy here).
- Use of Centre facilities including outdoor equipment
- Trips to surrounding attractions such as castles
- Opportunities to take an active role within the life of our local church and Christian youth work
- Living as part of a vibrant Christian Community, in a beautiful part of Scotland
How to apply:
If you would like to have a Scottish Christian residential experience and serve as a volunteer with Abernethy...
Download our application form HERE
Complete an online enquiry form and we will be in touch
e-mail our Recruitment Administrator, Steph Walling or call her on +44 1479 818001
Abernethy is a group of 4 residential adventure centres and a bunkhouse in Scotland and we are all about living life to the full with God and sharing outdoor adventures. Through our centres in the beautiful wilds of Scotland and a staff team motivated by their Christian faith, we aim to create the very best experiences for each and every guest.